What is Jump Break and what it will do?
This is the option which is available in blogger by default and not known to most of the people. Lot of people are doing lot of customization to add read more links to their blogs. With this feature we don't need to do anything as it provides everything for us.
- Go to create post or edit post and place the cursor in the content where you need to add the read more link. Once set the mouse cursor, from the editor toolbar find the option "Insert Jump Break" as shown below, this option will be visible in new blogger template editors and in editor Compose mode only. In "Edit HTML" mode all these option will go off. So, make sure you are in "Compose" mode to insert jump break.
Note: If you did not find the jump break as shown below then add the text <--more--> in the Edit HTML mode of the editor wherever you want.
- Now, it will insert a bar which represents the Jump Break [see below image how it looks like]. This can be dragged to the place wherever you need it. First set the position of it. You are half done by doing this.
- Now, publish the post and go to Edit HTML option from the blog navigation links Layout or Design[Tab name changed recently].
- Take the backup of the full template before do any changes.
- Now, check the option "Expand Widget Templates".
- Search for the tag in your HTML <data:post.body />.
- Add this simple HTML text, just below the above tag.
<a expr:href='data:post.url + "#more"'><data:post.jumpText/></a>
</b:if >Here, it just finds whether the data in the post has the jump link set, if yes, then it will insert the anchor text for read more, otherwise it skips the line. You can place whatever text or image or any other HTML tag instead of anchor tag in the above example code for read more.
Now, save your template and just go to your home page for testing the functionality.
The great advantage is very simple. People like it to use it or maintain it. Very simple and easy right? The only thing you need to do is, just follow the same for each post where you want to place the read more. Don't think like, if your blog already had 100's of posts then the first question in mind will be "Do I need to apply the same for all those posts?". Not needed. Read more is only useful most of the times for only home page posts. So, add to the current home page posts and to new upcoming posts.
Hope this gives you good idea on how to add read more link for your blog posts. Like it? then please share it.