Friday, February 20, 2015

SharePoint Product updates are now part of Windows updates

Uhh.. I am not liking it. Why SharePoint product should be a part of Windows Updates? Windows is Operating System, SharePoint is a product from Microsoft. I am not sure how they merge the updates into one. I think this way because, consider below scenarios:

  1. I have enabled the auto updates on my server and enabled the scheduled updates installed at some specific time. Now, along with Windows updates, all my SharePoint Patches also installed. But, if I am on FARM then I have to make sure the patches are installed in all servers in the FARM.. It's a big dependency. 
  2. Now, if all servers installed the SharePoint updates/patches then we have to make sure the PSConfig should be run in all SharePoint Servers. 
The only advantage I see is, the updates install automatically and my SharePoint server is upto date. But, this will not impress me anywhere. If needed I can download and install on servers I needed as a Product upgrade. 

I am not a fan for this new decision they have made. Make sure to turn off Windows updates automatically option on Windows Servers where SharePoint installed and run the updates when only you really need to. 

And starting this February 2015 CU they are part of Windows Updates. So, you might already got the updates. Please check once your Windows Updates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment