Thursday, July 9, 2009

App_Code folder in SharePoint – Custom web services in SharePoint – Part 1

On the way of explaining the process of implementing custom web services in SharePoint, I thought of telling you the advantage of App_Code folder in SharePoint. So, Please read this post before continue here.

If you are a .NET developer then you know the advantage of App_Code folder. When I am new to SharePoint technology, I thought like we can't add App_Code folder in SharePoint root folder because i didn't find it in the virtual directory path. […/Inetpub/wwwroot/…../] But few days back, when I got time, I want to do experiment on the App_Code folder in SharePoint. So, what are the advantages and how to do it please follow below steps.

  • Go to SharePoint web site virtual directory file system path. There you can find web.config file, _app_bin, App_Browsers etc…
  • Create a folder named App_Code.
  • Copy a class file [.cs], which you want to use in SharePoint coding inside the App_Code folder.

Now, you can access this class any where in the SharePoint web site. Very useful one right?

Wow, This helped me many scenarios and really a good tactic for solving lot of problems. Try this now!!!

3 comments:

  1. This is very good logic. I also don't have any knowledge on how to use it in SharePoint. But this post helps to understand it well. Thansk for the good posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that we can use App_code in sharepoint. Interesting post. I will try today. Thanks for nice blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, This helped me many scenarios and really a good tactic for solving lot of problems. Try this now!!! Cell Phone Tracking Application For Iphone

    ReplyDelete