Today, I got latest build public BETA from MSDN, I installed on my laptop. So, what are the prerequisites and how to install it on the server? For this I want to post a simple, light weight post which walk you through the installation.
Before start installation, I have allocated a minimum of 50GB space for SharePoint 2010 on the hard drive. I completely cleaned/formatted it.
What is the best supported OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 [64-bit].
What is system version and hardware support: 64-bit
So, I started with installing the OS first.
1. Installed Windows server 2008 R2 [64-bit] on the system.
2. Enabled all features needed by SharePoint 2010. Below are the features/services.
IIS, .NET 3.5, IE Security, Wireless LAN etc. [Go to server manager and find add features]
3. Now, we need backend support, so installed Sql Server 2008.
4. What are the componets you need? Management Studio, Analysis services, BI[If Needed], Sql Server Book Online, and others as you needed.
5. Installed Sql Server 2008 SP1.
6. Now, we are ready with all the basic needs and ready to install SharePoint 2010. Start SharePoint installation file.
7. You will see the first nice screen with all the options available on the window. Now, select the option "Install software prerequisites'
8. Below are the ones it needs to proceed.
> Application Server Role, Web Server (IIS) Role
• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client
• Microsoft "Geneva" Framework Runtime
• Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x64)
• Microsoft Chart Controls for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
• Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0
• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Analysis Services ADOMD.NET
9. Agree the License Terms.
10. Now, you will see the preparation tool window which configures above services. So one by one all services/features will be installed successfully.
11. Now, from the main menu window, choose install SharePoint Server 2010.
12. If it asks for any product key then go to the MSDN link and check for the keys available and enter the key. If didn't ask then no problem.
13. After entered the key, it will ask you which installation you need. Standalone/Farm.
What my choice here is Standalone because, it is in BETA and first time installation so, first go for standalone. Later you can install FARM.
14. Now, you will see the progress bar installing SharePoint 2010. First it will install SharePoint 2010 and then applying updates. Which will take about 10-20 minutes.
15. We are almost completed and time for running SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard.
16. Click Next on the screen and it will give a warn that it needs some services to be restarted like IIS, SharePoint administration v4 etc.. Click OK and proceed.
17. It has all of 10 steps in the wizard, one by one slowly runs and completes. This is actually the part where the configuration database, sample data etc.. will created.
18. After completed all steps then it will automatically opens the browser with central administration application. If you see any errors in browser just do IISRESET or restart your machine once.
Note: There may be chances that you get exceptions while installing the SharePoint 2010 public BETA. Please check these posts to resolve the issues.
I hope this will help you to install the SharePoint 2010 very successfully without any problems. Please let me know, if you are facing any issues or any issues which you resolved while installing.