Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileException: The request channel timed out

This is the continuation of Part 1. I have written a post on solving the issues while installing SharePoint 2010 in my previous post. So, As I said in my previous article, the new exception message I got in my system is below.

Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileException: The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:00:19.9340000. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. ---> System.TimeoutException: The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:00:19.9340000. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or increase the SendTimeout value on the Binding. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. ---> System.TimeoutException: The HTTP request to 'https://myserver:32844/d31735f8a1b34f3a8263707181c7e298/ProfilePropertyService.svc' has exceeded the allotted timeout of 00:00:19.9990000. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout. ---> System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out

So, what the above error message means? I also don't know anything about it at first glance. But, how did I resolv it?

I read the exception message 4 times continuously and understood again that this is the problem because of the WCF service. I copied the above given url in IE, waited for the response. But bad luck, didn't get any response.

Resolution:
As it is a service[.svc], What the idea I got here is, this path should exists some where on the file system. So, What I did? I search the file system for the file ProfilePropertyService.svc. And luckily I found the file in a location at "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\d31735f8a1b34f3a8263707181c7e298\5902e8c4\679035c5" with the file name "profilepropertyservice.svc.cdcab7d2.compiled'. So, this is what helped me and felt very happy by seeing it. You know what? First time when I ran the configuration wizard the service compiled and I was stuck because of first exception I got[Resolved in previous article.] After that I reran the configuration wizard then it again compiled but didn't updated the temporary ASP.NET files folder. So, I just did IISRESET on the server and started the configuration wizard again and everything completed successfully.

Now, I have everything setup and running. I felt very happy and started playing with SharePoint 2010. Hope this helps you to solve the problems and I think you like the way I approached to resolve these issues. Let me know your ideas and feel free to ask me if you are facing any problems.

5 comments:

  1. I tried iisreset, but it didn't fix this problem for me. So I found the client.config file that we edited in the last post again. I found a sendTimeout on lines 34,51,70 & 92. I changed the timeout from 00:00:20 to 00:01:20, saved, ran iisreset from Powershell and reran the wizard ... and now I'm up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you dont need to change the client.config ... just delete the temp files.. its works

    ReplyDelete
  3. please tell me, what kind of tem-files should I delete?

    ReplyDelete
  4. please tell me, what kind of temp-files I should delete?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please read the resolution section in my post and find the "profilepropertyservice.svc.cdcab7d2.compiled" in your system temporary asp.net folders for it. And remove everything and try.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete