Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileException: Unrecognized attribute allowInsecureTransport

Today, I got SharePoint 2010 Public BETA downloaded and installed on my laptop. It is very smooth and run very fast and total size is very less. All the prerequisites ran complete and while running the Product Configuration Wizard I got an exception and below is the detailed message of it.


Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileException: Unrecognized attribute 'allowInsecureTransport'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive. (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\WebClients\Profile\client.config line 56) ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized attribute 'allowInsecureTransport'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive. (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\WebClients\Profile\client.config line 56)

There is a hotfix released on kb. Check this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976462

So, this is the best part of the wizard. It completely given me very clear and wonderful message so that I can understood by reading it once. So, I went to the path above given in message and looked for the client.config file.

In the section, I found the line allowInsecureTransport="true". I don't know what to do with that. Because, As it said, it is case sensitive in error message, I tried with different combinations like camel case, pascal case, all lower, all upper etc..... But nothing worked.
After thought about it for a while, I just removed the attribute from the config file and saved the config.

Now, I reran the configuration wizard, there I see that this problem won't exist any more.

So, how this worked? When I deeply look into the config file, I understood that it is the WCF service setting. So, as you all know SharePoint 14 is supporting WCF services they have implemented some services based on it. In this BETA version, somehow that attribute is missing and it's not finding by the system.

So, now I resolved the issue and didn't get this problem again. But, this time I got a new and unexcepted exception message on my screen. See this post for more details.

But above both messsages came while running 8 of 10 step in configuration wizard while creating sample data.

Keep an eye on my blog for more solutions and updates from the technologies you like. Love to hear comments.

3 comments:

  1. had the same issue. happened under Windows 7 but not under Windows Server 2008

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI - This worked for me, but the first time I removed the line from line 56 and re-ran, I had the same error for line 97.

    ReplyDelete